Friday, August 23, 2019

Treasures in Heaven

Hang on in there, I'm up to number 9 in my "10 Reasons to Believe." Only one more to go after this!

What do you treasure? 

I'm a bit of a geek, and so the things that grab my attention and captivate me tend to be new technologies, new software and new ways of applying technology.  I'm generally not impressed by expensive things or shiny things. I honestly cannot tell the difference between Gaultier and Target's own brands, Rolex and Timex, or even diamonds and cubic zirconia.  Well, maybe I can see the difference side by side, but if you presented me with one or the other (with the label removed) and asked me what it was, I'd be clueless. I for sure don't appreciate paying a whole lot more for one versus the other. I guess I don't see the value...?  BUT, paying $3000 for a MacBook Pro versus $300 for an Acer Chromebook, hmmm, yeah, I lose all common sense.

So in applying to our modern times what Jesus said on the sermon on the mount: "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth..." for me that's tech stuff.  Then he continues "...where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal." That still applies to our clothes, cars, and latest gadgets.  In our modern western world we have way more things than the folks did in the 1st Century AD. Still today they wear out, burn out or become obsolete in the blink of an eye.  And for sure, the thieves have way more stuff to steal these days than back then.  Perhaps they give us pleasure or comfort for a little while, but it doesn't last.



A Better Treasure

Jesus says there's a better treasure; a treasure in heaven, that's not affected by moths, rust, or thieves with sticky fingers. If you set your heart on that treasure you'll have something that satisfies for the long term, not just in your existence here on Earth, but beyond and to eternity.

So what is this treasure that He speaks of? He's a little vague in the sermon and I guess you could take it to mean the treasure of eternal life, or the rewards God will give someone for being faithful in using what He gives us as recounted in the parable of the talents. For sure these are some of the long-lasting treasures.

But, I think the ultimate treasure we get by believing in Jesus and trusting in Him, is God Himself, and we get this treasure in 2 installments. Firstly, when you put your trust in Jesus, He gives you the gift of the Holy Spirit to be with you and help you through this life. He comforts, guides, and empowers you as you walk with Jesus in this life. Secondly, in eternity we get to be with God in person.  That will be the ultimate gift; the ultimate treasure.

So what's your treasure?


"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Jesus on the Sermon on the Mount)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some good questions

In my last blog I talked about asking good questions in order to understand and go deeper, without bias or prejudice. In this blog I want t...